We updated Anique's room a couple of years ago to make it a little more grown-up. At that time she had changed her bed to a bunk bed with a futon on the bottom. Ultimately she ended up spending most of her time sleeping on the futon and the top became a storage area for stuffed animals and extra blankets.
The kids rooms are pretty small. A little under 10'x10'. Beds typically take up most of the space and once you add a dresser and a bookshelf there's not a lot of space left over for playing or hanging out. Her trampoline chair was often folded up just because it left no space to walk if left out.
The goal of the new bed was to increase the amount of usable space but still make sure she had somewhere to sleep.
I am fortunate to have my husband and my father-in-law to help me with my crazy schemes. I just let them know what measurements I want and they cut everything for me.
Here's the bed in progress. The platform is up. The trundle bed is upside down and we installed wheels to make it easy to roll in and out. Ken helped to install a few more cross supports to make the platform more stable and less bouncy.
We used 1/2" MDF for the top and facing. If I were to build another, I would recommend using 3/4" MDF next time just so there is less give and bounce to the top. We just added additional 2x4's instead to make it solid.
Pardon the mess below. I have a habit of working on projects without completely emptying out the room. The platform is up, The bed fits beneath.
It's tough to get a good photo in of the whole room since the room is small but here's the bed all put together and painted. I installed a couple of handles on the front to make pulling the trundle out easier for Anique.
We placed her dresser up on top and created a reading area with her chair as well. Here are a few shots of the details.