Thoughts on Being in my 30's


My 20's

My 30's


So, as another birthday approaches I've been reflecting on my 30's (which are creeping closer to the end). Reflecting on how they differ from my 20's, what I've learned/realized and how I feel about this decade.

Here's a few things I've come up with:

  • Mini skirts are out (per What Not to Wear,  35 is the high limit)
  • Clothing found in the Juniors section is not flattering to my new body shape
  • The days of eating whatever I want and not gaining an ounce are over. Looking longingly at food causes weight gain.
  • Muscles don't bounce back, they just tear.
  • Good foundation wear is a must. Gravity sucks.
  • Lotion is another must if you don't want your hands to look 50.
  • SUV's are the new mini-van (despite a friend explaining they don't count because there is no sliding door)
  • I'm officially a soccer mom, spending half my freetime cheering on the sidelines.
  • I'm not nearly as concerned about how others think about me. I'm good with just being the best me.
  • I really thought I would have accomplished more in my career at this point.
  • I feel like I'm too old to dye my hair the really pretty, non natural colors (the whole pastel color trend is not for me)
  • I can no longer get through the day with only 4 hours of sleep.
I'm sure there's more but that's what I have so far.

I reached out to a few friends and asked for their feedback as well and here's what they added:

I defied the odds--I worked for three different banks that are no longer in existence...Had two more beautiful little girls...remarried to a great man!...Drive a jeep (one of my childhood goals in life). And doubled the size of my house AND my payment!

more confident to just be me. I no longer try to live up to others standards or lifestyles. Comfortable and happy in my chaotic life. Family life/Mom mode kicks in and takes over almost all aspects of life, little free time for self or my friends. Realizing that Forever 21 is a store only for 21 year olds and I should not have pants with words on my ass. Oh and over 35 requires stretching before any activity.

What do you think? Are there any thoughts you have about your thirties? What did you learn? What do you expect from your forties?

Comments