Birthday Happenings

 
 Ken's birthday was on Monday. I took the day off (wrongly thinking he had too) and prepared a treat for him.

He's not a big fan of cake but does like pie so I thought I'd see what I could make that was quick and easy and within my baking skill set. And of course since lately I bake everything in cupcake pans, that's what I chose.

This was my first foray into puff pastry but I think it turned out pretty well considering. I thawed the puff pastry and then cut it in to 9 squares per sheet. I placed the puff pastry into each cup, it kind of wraps and forms a bowl/crust. For the mini cupcake pan I just cut my squares in half so the size would be more appropriate.

Next I filled them with pre-made pie filling (here's where I could have probably put more effort in). I chose cherry and lemon. I think the canned filling is almost too sweet though and a homemade filling probably would have been a little more tasty.

I placed them in the oven and baked for 15 minutes at 400. They were quite tasty.
What I'll try next time: My own filling, pre-baking the pastry for a few minutes to get it a little crispier.

Overall everyone enjoyed them.

We also went out to dinner at Ixtapa after soccer practice. Bailey slipped out to the restroom and told the waiter it was his dad's birthday on his way back.

Comments