Rebirth of a Chair

My mom gave me this chair a few years ago. At the time, she just needed somewhere to store it. But after two years, I decided it was getting a makeover.

 

A little sunny yellow paint and a quick trip to the fabric store and it was like new. There was a great sale this weekend and I picked up fabric for a seat cushion and a few other projects for about $30.

I made the cushion by tracing placing the fabric on the seat and tracing the shape of the seat. I folded the fabric in half and cut out matching pieces. I cut out a long strip of fabric 3" wide.

Next I centered the strip of fabric right sides together around the edge of one cushion piece. I sewed it in place and then pinned the other side of the strip to the other side of the cushion. I left an opening where the two ends of the strip meet so I could stuff the cushion.

Next I used polyfill stuffing to stuff the cusion tight.

Using a covered button kit and some scraps of fabric, I put together 4 coordinating buttons. Sewing the buttons in place and creating my the nice indentations was probably the hardest part. I would recommend using a needle designed for upholstery and stronger thread. Mine kept breaking.

Lastly, I sewed some ribbon ties to the back of the cushion and attached it to the chair. I'm so happy with how this came out.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the step by step instructions. I just sort of winged it first.

P.S. Here's some artwork that was already up.

Comments