China Cabinet Redo

I have been planning and wanting to paint my china cabinet forever. When we moved into our house 11 years ago my mom and brother were also in the process of moving. We did a little musical furniture game and everyone rotated tables so we would all have pieces that fit better in our new dining areas.

My mom's table and china cabinet went to my Grandma's house since my mom would be moving into a mother-in-law unit there, my table went to my brother and my grandma's table and china cabinet came to me. (did you all follow that?)

A few years ago, my grandma decided she wanted a smaller table and I got my mom's table (pictured above). The matching china cabinet is still at her house.

So now that you have the history...I was not particularly fond of the dark wood tones and it just didn't match my decor style. I'm slowly but surely heading for a beach cottage feel. I live in the Puget Sound but truly I belong somewhere warm. :-)



I did a light sanding over the whole piece to make it more paintable. I taped off the glass windows on the front.
 Then I painted the whole thing white. (Technically, Italian Ice since that is what I had on hand).
 I waited several hours and then did a second coat in Gem Turquiose. I left the inside white so my dishes would contrast better. This looks a little more blue in the picture than it really is since it was night.
 In the morning, I used a 100 grit sanding sponge and rubbed some of the edges down to distress the piece. I used a piece of 100 grit paper to add some scuffing as well on a couple of the flat areas.
 Here's a close up of the distressing on the bottom panel. You can sort of see some of the brown popping through. There are areas of white coming out as well but they don't really show up in the picture.
 Here is the final piece put back in it's corner. Don't my rainbow dishes look fabulous in it? They were lost in the shadows before.
I'm so excited to have this project done and wish I hadn't put it off for so long. In two days I have added color and interest to a previously dull area.

Comments

  1. That looks so cool! I came over here from the Suck At list, but got distracted by your pretty turquoise cabinet. Ooooh, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking! I'm so happy with how it turned out too!

      Delete

Post a Comment