Teen Years


I have to admit I'm having trouble adjusting to having a teenage child. I struggle with knowing exactly where the line is for keeping him protected and safe verses being too overprotective. I want to make sure I give him some freedom in his life but I also feel the need to keep him close and safe.

There are so many outside pressures and influences. I don't want him to rebel because he feels we never let him do anything  but neither do I feel comfortable with just letting him roam about town with his pack of friends with no guidelines.

I know there is a point at which you have to let go and trust that the guidance and lessons you shared as they grew up stuck. But I'm not sure what that point is.

Sadly, he's the oldest and will have to make it through my trials and errors. This is my first time parenting through the teenage years after all! Hopefully, that means it will be easier the second time through.

Any advice? Lessons on when to let go and then how much? Aah, I'm sure I'll figure it out about the time he gets to 18 years old! Until then, patience (for both him and me) is the way to go!


Proverbs 22:6Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Comments

  1. Having a 2 year old I am nowhere near where you are but I know that the teenage years are just around the corner sneaking up on you when you least expect it... i am sure you will be able to find the balance that works for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement. Time does fly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment