Monday, May 28, 2012

A long, long, long-term project

You know how when there is a long weekend, you put together a long list of projects you have been procrastinating on and swear this is when you are finally going to get them all done? Well, I made the list...I drew some great sketches...and I got one project done (mostly).

But in all fairness, it was a doozy. It all started back in the summer of 2010. :-) The master bedroom is a work in progress. It doesn't have a clear vision. I'm easily distracted if I don't have a clear goal. I had re-arranged our room thinking it would be nice to have a sitting area in front of the window. Perhaps a chaise or a comfy chair and ottoman for reading.

Our community garage sale came around and I walked the blocks and found the perfect piece. It was going to need some work but it had potential. K is not always as quick to see the potential (perhaps because it takes me two years complete a project, hmmm.) And for only $25 I had the perfect new piece of furniture for our room.


Isn't it fabulous? Okay, so an ambitious teen had painted all the woodwork white and started painting the insets a tacky, shiny gold. And perhaps the fabric has some marker stains on it. For $25 dollars I could refinish and recover it. No problem!

First, I started stripping the old paint off with an orange, natural paint stripper and a plastic scraper.

This went pretty well, where the wood was smooth but it was almost impossible to strip everything where the wood was carved. I felt like I was taking off part of the wood itself. I took off as much paint as I could get without damaging the wood. I then removed all the fabric leaving the cushion.

I painted the wood work a deep, dark shiny brown.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find the pictures of this step, because this is how it stayed for the next year or so. I had enough fabric from previous projects available so I wouldn't need to purchase any. For the next year or so, the yellow cushions were exposed with the new fabric draped over the couch ready to be applied.

I had hit a snag. The wood was too hard for my staple gun to fire into. It would not push the staple all the way in.

This weekend (finally!!) I borrrowed my father-in-law's air-compressor and air stapler and voila! the fabric has been permanently attached. All that is needed now is the trim to be applied to cover the edges and a little bit of touch up paint. 

The piece fits in much better with our warm bedroom colors and I'm feeling more inspired to get the rest of the room done.


Next weekend is the community garage sale again. Perhaps I can find some bedside tables!